Northam’s Avon Descent 2021
KEY POINTS: Safety Info for Competitors
(Competitors may choose to laminate and carry in craft for reference)
- Northam Weir – NO PORTAGE: Buoys mark Chute.
- Katrine Bridge: River right all craft high or low water. No go area marked. Maybe water over road.
- PADDLE: PORTAGE ONLY including TEAMS / craft changeover: river right bank only.
- POWER: Low water: MARKED PORTAGE ONLY. Motors dead, Driver & Crew must exit.
- POWER: High water: river right under slow power over road, BEWARE culverts.
- Glen Avon Rapid: CAUTION
- Standing wave pushing craft/swimmers into trees on left.
- Williamson (Extracts) Weir: CAUTION
- 2019/2021 paddlers: mandatory portage river left – flags.
- ALL OTHER CRAFT: negotiate weir ‘with care’ by route of choice.
- TRAFFIC BRIDGES: CAUTION
- Bridges to be approached with care. Straight-line approach recommended.
- Lower Toodyay / Julimar Road Bridge:
- The Wetherall checkpoint has changed to the bridge location.
- Wetherall Reserve: Team changeover: marked by river buoy left bank after bridge.
- Cobbler Pool Day ONE Finish: CAUTION
- Finish timing usual location exit IMMEDIATELY AFTER river left downstream of finish.
- SUPPORT VEHICLES: ALL traffic leaving the camp site at Cobblers Pool on Sunday LEFT ONLY except Valley Pass support crews. Quarry Road will not be used this year.
- STARTS: Procedure is water level dependant. TO BE ADVISED BY SMS OR ON ARRIVAL.
- Emu Falls: CAUTION:
- Usual left channel CAUTION at / below ‘washing machine’ & bottom, long portage left along road is other option.
- Championships Rapid: CAUTION:
- Large central standing waves: caution required stay to sides of standing waves
- Syds Rapid: CAUTION: Left bank route recommended
- AVOID right – trees & fast water. AVOID middle – waterfall & hazard.
- Bells Rapid: CAUTION: Last rapid. Manage hydration, nutrition, fatigue and hypothermia to finish line.
- Avoid middle section– large standing waves. RHS portage or paddle watch trees.
- RECOMENDATION – hug far left bank before going under the bridge.